The use of cannabis for medical purposes dates back to 2900 B.C. when ancient nations used weed to treat rheumatic pain. If you want to try a cream and lotion that’s cannabis-infused, these recipes are very easy to follow:
- 14 g cannabis flowers
- 1 c coconut oil, olive oil, butter, or other fat
- 1 cup cannabis-infused coconut oil
- 4 tbsp beeswax
- 4 tbsp shea butter
- 4 tbsp cocoa butter
Step 1: Making canna oil
- Creating a cannabis-infused oil, or canna-oil is a fun and easy process. You’ll have to start by pouring your cannabis flowers into a mason jar. If you’re wondering where to get cannabis flowers, you can check websites like https://www.budlab.ca.
- Bake your flowers at 115°C for an hour. Heating your cannabis flowers will activate the cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) compounds, which will give your cream its soothing property. The heating of your flowers is called decarboxylation.
- After 1 hour, transfer your cannabis flowers to a baking sheet to keep them dry. Leaving them in the jar causes them to get wet over time due to condensation.
- Lightly cut up your cannabis using scissors and combine it with your coconut oil. Stir well.
- Put your coconut oil and cannabis flower mixture into a simmer for 4 hours.
- Set your mixture aside to cool for some minutes. Meanwhile, get a strainer and top it with cheesecloth.
- Pour the mixture into the strainer where the cloth will catch your cannabis flowers. Make sure to squeeze the cheesecloth over your oil, extracting as much liquid as possible.
- Viola! You now have your canna-oil.
Step 2: Making of the actual cream
- Combine your canna-oil, shea butter, beeswax, and cocoa butter. Give this mixture a good stir.
- Heat your mixture until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. This can take up to an hour.
- Pour the mixture into your preferred container, and there you have it—your homemade pain-relieving cream.
For a 450 g lotion, these are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1/2 c canna oil
- 1 c shea butter
- 1/2 c almond oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Creating a cannabis lotion is almost effortless. Firstly, mix your coconut oil and shea butter over medium heat. Stir until they fully incorporate.
- Once done, let the mixture cool for 30 minutes.
- It’s now time to add in your almond oil and eucalyptus oil. Stir them thoroughly.
- If you are okay with the consistency, you can stop here. If not, you’ll have to whip your mixture using a standing mixer. Whip until you reach the desired creamy consistency.
- Let the lotion cool in the fridge. Once it solidifies, the lotion should be kept at room temperature.
Cannabis can be used in food, beverages, and topicals too. These homemade topicals have the healing properties of both CBD and THC, so you can expect them to soothe a variety of inflammation. If you’re experiencing soreness, these creams are undoubtedly worth-trying!